Happy Birthday, HMAD!

"Well my son turned ten just the other day, he said thanks for the ball dad, come on let's play!"

Well, like Harry Chapin's poor kid, I will refuse to teach HMAD to throw a baseball, mainly because it's an internet site with no reason to know how to do that (also, I don't know how, either). But what I WILL do to celebrate the 10th birthday of this little silly site, which kicked off with Return to Horror High on February 7th, 2007, is offer one (1) lucky reader a signed copy of Horror Movie A Day: The Book!

To win, I've made it fairly easy - just comment below (no anonymous, obviously) and let me know how you first came to find the site. Was it Rob Zombie's Halloween? Open Water 2? Just this week, with Rings? Don't lie, there's no wrong answer or "I'll give it to the oldest review" kind of thinking. I have a couple of things I'll be looking for and none of them have anything to do with how long I think you've been coming here or if I think you're a die-hard reader. I'll be picking the winner on Wednesday sometime, so get those memories posted quick! Just two rules: 1. USA readers only, however if you're outside the US and want to pay the difference for the additional shipping cost, I guess I can't argue with that, and 2. If you comment and I can't find any reasonably easy way of contacting you directly, I'll have to disqualify you, so make sure your email or Twitter handle is attached to your commenting profile, whichever one you happen to use!

And to readers old and new - thank you for continuing to come here. I know I don't update as often as you OR I would like, but I do my best, and hope to continue at this or a better rate for years to come. I don't really get to review much for my other site these days so this is kind of my main outlet, and I'd like to do right by it and by the people who are still checking it out. Here's to another ten years!

16 comments:

  1. Hunted this down after reading your piece on the first SAW game! Been using it to read up on shitty horror sequels ever since! (Who keeps letting people make Children of the Corn movies?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan (@schlockvalue)February 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM

    Pretty sure it was a combination of your columns on BMD and random Google searches for movies that I'd just seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure it was in the Critics Review section of imdb for a random movie some years ago. I've killed too many brain cells to clearly recall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you on twitter via Scott Weinberg years ago, enjoyed the reviews ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a soft spot for killer scarecrow movies, despite most of them being awful. I was searching Google for some kind of definitive list of killer scarecrow movies and stumbled across your review of Husk (as well as several others). Been hooked ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly don't recall how I found the site, just glad I did because the reviews have been informative and funny. The book was excellent, helped me through an insanely stressy holiday season. I cheated and downloaded it during the free week, so I'd feel guilty getting another free copy. Just wanted to say thanks and happy ten year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on twitter a few years ago after seeing people I follow always talking to you, which led me here. Review Predator. It counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsea retweeted you. I want to learn more. SENDS THE BOOK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sumupid -- Met you when you came into my office to interview a co-worker involved in the production of Jason Goes to Hell. You and I discussed horror movies for a bit and then you mentioned your blog. I've been following faithfully ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came for the Shark Attack 3: Megalodon review, stayed for the A+ opinions on Jaume Collet-Serra movies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @mattdeluna I found your site back when I tried to write a horror movie blog myself, around 2010 - 2011. I loved the concept of the site and I remember going back and reading everything in your archives. I became a regular reader of yours and followed you to Bad Ass Movie Digest, where I still enjoy your opinion pieces. Sadly, I couldn't hang with writing daily so my blog was shut down, but you truly are dedicated to watching and writing about a horror movie everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I first found this site when you had announced it on MySpace!?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started during my blockbuster 3 for 15 dollar raids when looking for some escapist fun and finding there weren't as many horror movies in theatres as there were on TV. One thing I've never done is donate to a person I never knew ..but some time ago I remember you tweeted your car broke down and you needed some funds to continue your passion it's weird to remember things like that. Congrats on ten years . Can't wait for more

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember it was via the IMDb page of external reviews for something, though I'm blanking on what. Possibly the Wizard of Gore (2007), which I was obsessed with for a weird few weeks in 2009. And I've always liked your reviews, even though I sometimes disagree with them, which for my money is the sign of a good critic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't remember but I'd like you to make your book more affordable to ship to Britain... eighty dollars? get tae mate. Grand site though, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon UK has it! No need to import!

      https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Horror-Movie-Day-Book-Brian-W-Collins/0692657363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486609815&sr=8-1&keywords=horror+movie+a+day

      Delete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google